Separation and Child Support Agreements in Windsor

In order to file for divorce in Canada, couples must complete a full one-year separation period, legally starting when you and your spouse are living separately and apart. A separation agreement is an optional contract signed by both parties, outlining the terms of the separation regarding:

  • Date of separation
  • Issues surrounding children (custody, access, financial support)
  • Spousal support
  • Property division
  • Debt management
  • Splitting of pensions, RRSPs, RESPs, etc.

This contract is legally binding and must be honoured by both parties. Consulting with a lawyer is the most reliable way to ensure that the terms of the agreement are fair and balanced, especially regarding property division and child support. At Janette Long Family Law & Divorce in Windsor, I’ll help you understand the terms of the contract.

Child Custody Agreements

Determining custody of children is a big part of any separation or divorce process. Custody can be held by either parent, or a joint custody agreement can be reached. This is an important part of any separation agreement as custody grants that parent the right to make important decisions that will impact the child, such as:

  • The child’s school and educational programs
  • The child’s religion
  • Where the child will live
  • The child’s legal name
  • Health care decisions
  • Extracurricular activities
Ready for a Consultation

Ready for a Consultation?

Contact Janette Long Family Law & Divorce to begin your consul

Call Us
Created by

Legal notice